This post contains affiliate links. Your purchase is appreciated!
It seems like every other day there is some amazing “cure-all” that comes flashing through my newsfeed.
What’s the latest? Epsom Salt.
I’ve seen various reports on it here and there but haven’t really paid much attention. (I’ve been busy using Turmeric and Tea Tree Oil to see how they benefit my life!) One day recently, my Hubby asked if we had any Epsom Salt because he needed a foot soak.
Well sure! We happened to have some stuffed in a corner in the bathroom. We fixed up a soak with Epsom Salt and essential oils to soothe his tired feet and improve circulation. He said it felt amazing and asked me to buy more Epsom Salt.
At that point I decided to look into the benefits of Epsom Salt to see if it was really all it’s cracked up to be. Let me tell ya, it looks pretty promising.
Besides just giving you a relaxing foot bath, there are five main reasons that you need Epsom Salt in your life:
- Detox your body. The chemical compound of Epsom Salt is Magnesium Sulfate. Both of these elements are easily absorbed into the body. The sulfates naturally remove toxins from your cells helping your body flush them out. A regular detox is great for your body and you can benefit from Epsom Salt whether you take a full bath or just a foot soak.
- Reduce inflammation. The magnesium in Epsom Salt is a natural anti-inflammatory. For sore muscles, cramps, joint pain, and bruises, an Epsom Salt soak or compress will relieve inflammation.
- Exfoliate your skin. Our skin is pretty amazing. It is our largest organ and is constantly regenerating itself to protect us and keep our bodies in one piece. It is important to exfoliate often to remove the dead skin cells to keep our skin soft and breathing freely. A scrub for your hands, feet, body, or face will greatly benefit your skin.
- Relieve constipation. For the occasional back-up, Epsom Salt can be taken internally as a saline laxative. Use 2 tablespoons in warm water once daily. If symptoms persist check with your doctor.
- Regulate blood sugar. Magnesium and Sulfate both assist the body’s ability to make insulin. Taking Epsom Salt may help reduce risk of diabetes and other sugar related issues.
Bonus benefits: Epsom Salt is great as an abrasive substance for cleaning pots and pans or tile and grout. It can also supply nutrients to your garden as plant food!
Epsom Salt may not be on the “cure-all” list but it will greatly benefit you and your household in various! If you don’t have any, you need to get some Epsom Salt today. (Find a carton of it here!)
And since you probably want to know, here is the recipe for my husband’s relaxing foot soak:
- 1 gallon of hot or warm water (personal preference)
- 1 cup of Epsom Salt
- 5 drops each of Thyme, Peppermint, Clary Sage, Wintergreen essential oils
- Mix all ingredients in a small tub.
- Soak feet until water cools.
- Enjoy the relaxing aroma! The Epsom Salt promotes detoxification and relaxation. The essential oils promote circulation, detoxification, and cleanse the feet and nails.
How do you benefit from Epsom Salt?