MMM… there’s nothing better than warm buttery apple pancakes in the morning!
For those mornings you need something savory but not heavy, apple puff pancakes are perfect!
This is my new favorite go to for a warm breakfast. It’s not as heavy or sweet as traditional pancakes or other pastries. But fills the belly and satisfies the taste buds!
As important as breakfast is, it’s easy to reach for the already made stuff. Muffins, cereal, bagels, all delicious, but not so good for you when store bought and time consuming to make at home. If you’re going for a real food breakfast, quick and easy makes all the difference.
Scrambled eggs and sauteed kale are quick and easy, but sometimes the savory flavor is what you need. An apple puff pancake is a crowd pleaser and semi-entertaining with its fresh out of the oven puffiness. The apple-y goodness is delicious!
I adapted this recipe from The Prairie Homestead. There are a few differences, but I didn’t create this all on my own. I’m not that creative in the kitchen! Pinterest is my best friend for finding new meals.
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 2-3 apples, cored, peeled, and sliced thin
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp rapadura (or unrefined sugar), divided
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup milk
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla bean extract
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Melt your butter in a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Once the butter is bubbling, add in your sliced apples, cinnamon, and 1 Tbsp of rapadura. Stir occasionally until apples are starting to soften.
- Meanwhile, combine remaining rapadura, flour, and salt in a large bowl. Mix in milk, eggs, and vanilla. Mix well until combined. You may have some small lumps, but this won’t affect the final outcome.
- Flatten your apples in your skillet and pour in the batter. Place the skillet in your oven and cook for 15-20 minutes until cooked through. The edges may start to brown slightly and the center will be nice and puffy!
- Let rest a few minutes and then slice and enjoy. It pairs well with bacon and coffee. Mmmm.
For an easy weekday breakfast, or a leisurely weekend, an apple puff pancake is a great choice! It’s quick to whip up and bakes while you make your coffee. (Or chase toddlers around.)